- Project status
- Project posted
- 18 May 2017 13:47
- Project duration (approx.)
- 60.0 Days
- Budget (approx.)
- US$480 / day
- Level of Experience
- Private Equity
- Area of expertise
- Change Management , Executive / C-Suite , Human Resources , Business / Process Transformation
- Consultant location
- English (Essential) , French (Essential)
Objectives and Key Deliverables
***Can be located in Ghana, Ivory Coast or Niger***
We are a company managed by an Investment firm which has nine (9) investments in five (5) West-African countries, and may close an additional four (4) transactions by end of 2017. To improve the alignment of investee management teams with the Value Creation Plans (VCPs) developed post-investment, the Fund wishes to have management assessments of both portfolio and pipeline investee management teams to determine the capacity of current teams to see through the implementation of current and proposed VCPs.
The objectives of this consultancy are:
- To understand and assess the suitability of current management teams to implement current and/or proposed VCPs through the identification of areas (strategy, exit, communication etc.) and levels (middle management, Board etc.) of misalignment if any;
- To present an objective assessment of the leadership abilities of the management teams and Boards through a review of KPIs established in VCPs and a review of internal culture of companies;
- To understand and assess the quality and fitness of workforce through: i) analyzing the composition, flow, skills and costs of the current and projected (in-line with VCP milestones) workforce, ii) identifying actions to close workforce gaps and iii) assessing retention risks for executives and key management;
- To identify collaboration/synergy gaps between IIL and management teams and or Boards, and to provide actionable insights and clear recommendations for addressing identified deficiencies,
- To develop and apply internal benchmarks across the portfolio that allow for ongoing assessment of management teams across portfolio.
• Comprehensive Due Diligence & Assessment Report with findings that cover all areas outlined under “Objectives” and “Scope” including 360-degree feedback surveys on strategy, people and systems, leadership capability, business simulations etc. and that offers clear recommendations and inputs for rethink/refocus of VCP and engagement with management teams;
• At least two debrief/presentation sessions with management teams and Fund manager representatives to discuss findings (first session to be held when initial review or draft report is ready, and last session when final report is complete);
• Draft Report to be submitted 5 working days after the end of the contract period. The report shall among others have an executive summary, the methodology used, detailed findings and analysis of the matters stated in the foregoing sections;
• Final Report within 7 working days of receipt of comments from the Fund manager, IIL.
NB: It may be necessary to prioritise final report for some companies due to investment timelines
Quotes and proposed implementation plan should be submitted no later than May 26th, 2017.
The project will involve desk research and review of data. It will involve on-site interviews with management teams, Boards and Fund manager staff.
The Consultant/Consulting firm working alone or within a consortium is expected to carry out the assignment independently but in close coordination with IIL and management teams of portfolio and pipeline companies.
The management assessment is to take into consideration the review and analysis of the following:
- CEO competence and fit
- Middle management quality
- Shared mindset and coherent brand identity
- Skillsets and Leadership
- Organizational bottlenecks
- KPI framework and performance management
- Collaboration, Communication and Learning
- Teams preparedness to face changes in the “new-world” post-investment or to adapt to key stages in the VCP, and current progress against blueprint/development trajectory required during holding period
- Fit of teams and ability to deliver on specific components of the VCP