- Project status
- Project start date
- 1 May 2018
- Project posted
- 3 Apr 2018 12:32
- Project duration (approx.)
- 12.0 Months
- Budget (approx.)
- US$9600 (fixed cost)
- Level of Experience
- Financial Services
- Area of expertise
- Operations, Sales / Business Development, Strategy
- Consultant location
Objectives and Key Deliverables
We are a global exchange and custodian offering institutional and retail investors a regulated platform to buy, sell and hold crypto assets. Our Company was founded in Singapore in 2012. Since then, its U.S. affiliate obtained a New York State trust company charter and became the first regulated Bitcoin exchange in the U.S. Our Company is focused on meeting the sophisticated needs of institutions, active traders and other bitcoin trading professionals. In addition to Singapore, our Company has an office in New York.
We are looking to hire an Operations Manager to run the operations and business for our company in Asia out of our Singapore office. The role will have responsibilities to manage the custody and exchange operations for our international customers. This role will manage our Singapore based operations team and will report to the Operations Director based out of New York.
We hold ourselves to a very high hiring bar. To achieve this, we think of roles first and foremost as outcomes to be achieved, not simply a description of responsibilities. We have developed what we call a ‘Success Profile’ for this role, which has two sections:
● Outcomes: Meaningful and measurable work products that have a significant impact on the team and business over a defined timeframe
● How to Achieve Outcomes: We have a strong point of view on how this role will succeed in achieving outcomes at itBit. So, we have taken the Operating System of itBit - our values - and made it relevant to this role.
● Develop, implement and oversee operational procedures and processes that establish itBit as a best in class crypto asset custodian and exchange. Success is measured by customer satisfaction metrics and the consistent protection of our client assets.
● Ensure a high-touch, high quality customer support for itBit exchange customers globally by balancing strong operational metrics with surfacing the need to change operational procedures when needed. Success is measured by striking a balance between parity in operational metrics between SG and NYC teams as well as providing high touch and customized service for clients.
● Coach and develop a high performing operations team in Singapore that is culturally aligned and achieves the business goal of 24x5 coverage for clients and users without drop in coverage. Success is measured by strong scores on organizational metrics such as manager effectiveness and employee engagement.
How to achieve the Outcomes:
Functional acumen required:
● Ability to create and manage operational procedures that consider a balance of automation and safety for our customers.
● Ability to coach and develop a high performing team outside of HQ while maintaining parity with similar teams at HQ.
● Proficient at taking best-in-class customer service practices and adapting them to meet the needs of the itBit product. This goes beyond mere NPS scores but truly being able to articulate what the right benchmarks should be and then executing to get there.
Shared commitment to excellence:
● Develop a track record of constantly disrupting operations through the use of technology and automation. Be the advocate for this rather than the blocker because it disrupts your world for the better.
● Insist on operational solutions keeping the customer/user experience as your north star. Reject possible solutions that optimize for other variables by significantly compromising the customer/user experience.
● Consistently be able to deliver organizational or business objectives to your team without any loss in translation between New York and Singapore and use that as a driver for superior performance of your team.
Search for the truth:
● Be able and willing to detach yourself from the inertia of day-to-day operations in
considering new and unconventional solutions to operational issues while still hitting
● Be able to translate high level business goals for itBit to strategic goals for the Singapore
team by being grounded in the business and with inputs from key business stakeholders.
● Build trust with peers, leaders across the company and direct reports by being vocal
when you disagree but also work in earnest to make a decision you disagreed with a
● Ability to disagree with decisions taken in New York when you think it adversely impacts
your team but still be able to vocalize your concern by balancing the needs of the team
with the business needs.
● Maintaining clear channels for communication between Singapore and New York (both regular and ad-hoc).
● Ability to disagree with team members and project stakeholders without destroying the trust you have built with them. Do this by consistently articulating POVs or disagreements based on outcomes and with data points (qualitative or quantitative).
Be an owner:
● Independently drive decisions within the Singapore operations team that align with the
overall goals of the Company.
● You take responsibility or escalate issues that you observe even if they don’t directly
apply to your role or job.
● Experience building, coaching and managing a team outside of HQ for a US-based tech company.
● Experience managing operations teams at tech companies that have seen scale and partnering with technology/product teams to constantly automate your workflow and gain efficiency.